Computer Guy

Computer Guy
Sunset at DoubleM Systems (DBLM.com), Del Mar, California

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Who is the target user? What is the word?

I've been doing startups for a long, long time. Gotta be 60-plus years since the first businesses I started in college. Since then, I've done 7 of my own. And for the last 25 years I've been helping founder/CEOs with their startups. I'm not perfect, but I know a thing or two about startups. So when it comes to repositioning the ToBeWise™ product, there's only one word that comes to mind: Startup. 



Paul Graham, founder of Y-combinator advised founders to begin by “building something you yourself need” and summarized the principle as “founders are target users.”

I built something that I needed/wanted, I just didn't position it at the time as a product for Startups. As I mentioned in previous posts on this subject, I've wanted to reposition ToBeWise™ for a couple of years, but the stars needed some time to align. Now we have alignment.

Of course, it's not going to be a simple job of changing the App Store listing.  It's going to take some surgery in the app itself, and that's what's going on now. And I know that startup peeps are going to be techies, and unless my product is bulletproof and simple and powerful and professional... well, they will let me know about with more than frowny face emoticons. 

For example, as I write this, Codex/GPT is banging away at the code to completely change the app to do silent background database updates, to replace the clunky old school method in use since before such magic was possible on the iPhone. Today's audience, especially techies, would be disappointed with that outdated methodology.  GPT says it will take 32 hours of engineering time to make it work, but it's worth it, especially since I don't have to do the coding, because if it were up to me... well I don't thing I would live that long. I just checked, and it finished the coding step in only 78 minutes. Insanity!  Of course now is the debugging phase; no telling how long that will take.

A side note: with all the vibe coding I've been doing, my old Macbook Pro from 2021, with the M1 chip and 16gb of ram was really slowing down progress so I upgraded to a new model with M5 chip and 48gb of ram. Wow! What a huge difference that has made.

Stay tuned for more on the rebranding adventure.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment