Ten Japanese principles for better living:
- Omoiyari: embed compassion in your life, work, and product design.
- Ikigai: live with purpose and passion.
- Wabi-sabi: be grateful, see beauty in imperfection, and strive for excellence, not perfection.
- Mottainai: embrace essentialism, and live sustainably.
- Shin-Gi-Tai: keep a healthy body and a sound mind. They are the path to mastery.
- Shu-Ha-Ri: learn the basics. Imitate, then innovate.
- Kaizen: embrace change and strive for small and continuous improvements.
- Mono no aware: detach from material things, outcomes, and old beliefs.
- Omotenashi: give without expecting a reward. The world gives to the givers.
- Ho-Ren-So: over-communicate. Report problems even if you don’t have an answer.
Adding concepts like these to our toolbox can help us navigate this interconnected world and thrive in it as we experience more of life and evolve.
source for more reading on this topic: