Computer Guy

Computer Guy
Sunset at DoubleM Systems (DBLM.com), Del Mar, California

Monday, January 30, 2023

ChatGPT3 is Not Yet Ready for Prime Time!

In my first testing of OpenAI's ChatGPT3 product, I threw it a softball question and was completely surprised by its replies that it made me doubt anything else it might have to say.

My first question was simple enough: Who is Michael McCafferty?

Of course there are many people with my name so I wasn't so surprised when ChatGPT came up with a different one for its first answer... check it out:


Looks good, right?  Wrong. It's all lies! There is no McCafferty Group, and the website is a dead link. WTF?

So I took a different subject, one which I am personally familiar with, the subject of TeleMagic software:


It knows what TeleMagic is and it knows that it is a CRM product, but it thinks TeleMagic was created in 1983, four years before Act! which it thinks is the first CRM (1987... which is what it says on the Act! page in Wikipedia). There's some very basic logic that is missing here.  ChatGPT should know better.

It's almost laughable that ChatGPT3 gets caught in the impossibility of its responses and says "I'm not sure what the first CRM software was, but I know CRM stands for Customer Relationship Management...".  Too funny!

I thought I would take a different, more direct approach:



First it agrees with me, then immediately changes its mind (?) and says it was Salesforce that was the first CRM, 14 years after saying it was TeleMagic. This is where I'm starting to hear the song that the HAL9000 is singing when "Dave" is disconnecting his brain in the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey"  

I persist, to no avail, even though it can feel my pain:


This is where it gets interesting and ChatGPT comes up with something completely different:

WTF? Now we're back to 1983 with a completely different product written by... who the heck is Donny Davenport? And ChatGPT loses the train of discussion and comes up with somebody else, and then after prodding reminder, gets back on track.  Now I'm curious, who is this person I've never heard of who wrote the first CRM product named... what?

Now ChatGPT is getting inconsistent with Mr. Davenport's first name (Donny, Donnie, then Doni) which is weird, but I can let it go in the search for truth. So I press on...

Notice that NexCustomer is not on the list! Yikes. For answers I turn to a real human, Rich Bohn, who is the "oldest living independent CRM analyst".  Rich has never heard of either Doni Davenport or NexCustomer.  Showing no fear, I press on:

Needless to say, the link for Donny D. is broken, no info there. You might think that ChatGPT would check before just running off at the mouth like that, but noooo.

For the final insult, ChatGPT gives 3 different answers to the same question. This is where I stopped. My brain was fried.

For reference, here is the list of the earliest known CRM products and links to sources:

TeleMagic1/15/1985michaelmccafferty.com
Act!4/1/1987https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act!_LLC#History
Maximizer1987https://www.google.com/search?q=maximizer+software&oq=maximizer+software
Goldmine1989https://www.goldmine.com/
Salemaker1986https://www.ebay.com/itm/325490978674

No comments:

Post a Comment