Computer Guy

Computer Guy
Sunset at DoubleM Systems (DBLM.com), Del Mar, California

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Let's meet at Starbucks... NOT!

I just read the latest email from Pitch Anything guru Oren Klaff and I've got to say I was shouting at my screen in violent agreement with him, so much so that I have to cut and paste a part of his email right here:

There is one thing I tell every single person entering my industry -- the high-stakes world of dealmaking and raising money....

#1 ...Never take a meeting in a coffee shop

I know what you're thinking:
Wait a second Oren ...
Starbucks is so convenient, I meet people there all the time...
And hey, a "deal" is a "deal" no matter where and when someone finds out about it, right?
THIS IS WRONG IN A DOZEN DIFFERENT WAYS.
I can guarantee you that Millions of dollars in your life and career will vanish in coffee shops (and restaurants and cafeterias too).
Sure, all kinds of exciting things happen at Hot Dog stands in the movies ...
image
image
But that's all fake.
Coffee shop and restaurants are ground-zero for Low Status meetings that go nowhere.
Is just this my "opinion"?
I called one of the Top 30 producers in Hollywood, Brant Pinvidic, to ask his opinion about “coffee shop and restaurant meetings"...
... isn't that how Hollywood "works"?
Brant immediately gets excited when I ask him about Starbucks ...
“I HATE Starbucks meetings!", he says.
WHY?
Brant tells me: "When I get invited to STARBUCKS for a meeting, I think to myself ... Really? That's where we’re doing THIS?
... Starbucks is all the 'juice' you have?"
(Brant's domain is Hollywood, where "juice" means resources, influence and power. Or in other words, "CLOUT")
He continues:
"So you invited me to sit down in a tiny half-height chair like in a doll house...
  • To discuss all our confidential information out in the open for anyone to hear...
  • with the sound of blenders and espresso portafilters slamming in my ear...
  • While I'm squinting to see some tiny PDF on your ipad?"
Next Brant starts half-yelling at me... as if I had just invited him to a Starbucks meeting ...
“Hey Oren, When Comcast offered $3.8 Billion for Dreamworks, did they say 'Meet us at Starbucks, we have something to show you?'"
"When Verizon decided to buy Yahoo for $4.9 Billion, did Hans Vestberg tell Marissa Myers, “Let’s grab a quick lunch at Mastro’s, just the two of us and 37 lawyers, 12 accountants and my bankers?”"
Brant continued, "In fact ...
... name ONE important deal that was done at Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks or Peets Coffee... YOU CAN'T!"
What Brant is saying is: public spots lack seriousness, and imply your deal is weak, and a thin-veil above a “startup idea.”
YOUR $100K DEAL is no less important to you than a $4.8B deal is to Yahoo.
So, I suggest you take yourself seriously, and do deals in a place that says "this deal matters."
Of course, I agreed with everything Brant is saying, but at this point in the conversation ...
... you know how these Hollywood guys are ... they get really spun-up and keep going and going.
And Brant ... he keeps going: “Listen Oren, I’ve got another 20 rules for dealmakers...”
“#2, Be the first to leave every meeting and phone call."
"#3: Don’t be greedy—because buyers will walk away from “over-negotiators”"
-------------------------  end of email clip from Oren Klaff

If you haven't yet read Pitch Anything, stop whatever you're doing and get the book and start following his advice. It's priceless. If you're not subscribed to his emails, you are missing out on excellent content that is creatively packaged. Email me and I'll get you on the list. 

Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal