July 6, 2017

My Time, My Checklist™


Time is what happens while something changes into something else.
   For example the duration it takes bare metal to rust.
   Or for a pretty girl to fall in love with you.
   Or for the splitting of an atom.

Time is the changing of future into now into past.

Past is unchangeable, 
of no consequence 
except that which we give it.

Future is all potential
and of no reality
except that which we make of it.

Now is that little grain of sand
that just slipped through the hourglass of Time,
as future became past.

Unlimited future.
Unlimited past.
Totally limited now.

Now just got here,
and there it goes...

But here comes another now...
Ooops, another now bites the dust.

Ya gotta be ready for the nows.
They disappear really fast.

Like morning fog evaporating in the rising sun.
It seems so real and then it's completely gone.

It is said that the secret of Life 
is enjoying the passage of Time.
How can it be argued?

Time is all we have.

It's a wasting asset.
If we aren't using it to our advantage,
we'll never get another chance at it.

The nows are slipping away...

The coming nows, the future, 
are filled with potential, infinite promise,
all they needs to fulfill that promise 
is a little guidance from us.

After all, it is our future,
so what are we going to do with it?

There goes another now...
What am I doing with it?
I'm reading these words,
because it seems I might learn something
about how to fully enjoy the passage of Time.

So what's the secret to enjoying the passage of Time?
Deciding.
Just start enjoying it.
Right now, if you like.

It's called Gratitude.
Recognize the positives in your life.
And while you're at it
push your life in the direction of more of it
and away from less of it.

The future will change with or without us.
It's better of course, if the future changes 
with our influence
than without our influence.

The future will change without us
in ways that may be good,
but probably are either not good
or indifferent.

Why let my Life, my Time,
be the result of random events.
It makes sense to have my Life, my Time,
be the product of my choosing.

And so I do choose thusly:
My Time will be of my choosing.

As the moments of my Life evaporate,
very few are of my choice completely.
I have responsibilities, family, friends, work, health, laundry…
and so on ad infinitum.

Very little is My Time,
completely.

My Time is so rare and precious,
that I have found ways to have more of it.

I am infinitely greedy about My Time.

During My Time I allow no interruptions.
I focus fully on the moments of now
savoring each for its beauty and peace and perfection,
and let it slip away while welcoming the next one.
Like breaths of fresh air.

I have become adept at using now
to make future nows even more perfect than now.
I have so much to look forward to!

If I look back over the past,
I am filled with awe at what I have wrought.
But I also see where I can do better.

Looking forward and back is only one way to spend now,
and I try to keep that to a minimum.
Right now, it's one breath in, and then one breath out.
My being is calm, and smiling, and focused,
because that I can do at any time,
just by deciding that's who I am.

From there I feel the Gratitude for all that is.
And envision more of the good,
and let the other drift away.

Be like clear water.
Be still, and let the not-water fall away.
It's effortless, really.
it just takes the decision, the commitment, the action.
The action of stillness; it sounds like a paradox.

The action for me is to sit on my yoga mat,
then lie down on my back,
and to close my eyes,
and to breathe intentionally, slowly,
and fully experience each breath
from start to finish, 
letting each breath take its own time.
while I let my body relax completely.

At some point in my Time,
I stretch.
My body loves a good stretch,
especially when I add my breath to the moment.

It doesn't get much more enjoyable than that,
and I can do it almost any time,
so I try to do it several times during the day.
Even if only for a few moments of now.

Sometimes when I'm enjoying the passage of Time,
I imagine all the billions of people who are not,
and I wish they could,
and how different a world it could be
if only they had some my Time of their own each day.

Just once a day, that's the least we deserve.
Each of us is unique;
there never was, and never will be another just like us.
We were born into this world
and somewhere between then and now 
we get so caught up in it,
that Time slips away without thought.
We become robots on a stage,
playing out some program written long ago,
and not by us!

We are on auto-pilot
going from here to there
from future to past
with no stops in between
without thought or appreciation,
just passing through.

No! I will not be that robot.
I will not let my life evaporate.

I must have My Time,
at least once a day.
I must have that to look forward to.

So I put My Time on My Checklist™
because then I know I won't forget it,
and because it's just that important.

Every pilot has a checklist, and uses it.
Or they will die.

Flying taught me that.
So now, when I want something to happen,
I put it on My Checklist™ and it gets done.

It's not a to-do list,
although I do have that
as one of the things on My Checklist.™

My Checklist™ is my superpower.
It guides me on the path to enjoy perfect days
every day.

It's something I've built 
over years of continuous improvement.
And it's built on a long life of experience,
a life of less and more,
and learning what causes 
the greatest enjoyment as Time goes by…

… and with the least effort, that's key.
To maximize return on investment of Time
where the return is enjoying Time my way.
Life according to me.

I learned a long time ago
that we can do pretty much anything 
we set our minds to.

So I set my mind to it.
Just to see if that proposition were true.
And it was.
So I continue to set my mind to it.
And it continues to be true.

I've shared this method with others,
and it works for them too.
It makes me wonder
when the rest of the world will catch on.
It seems like I should let more people know,
and maybe I should add that to My Checklist.™

But right now
I'm breathing in and breathing out
fresh cool spring air
just off the surf
in Del Mar, California...
all because of a decision I made 40 years ago
to move from Chicago
where I learned I needed to be warm
as a basic building block of each perfect day.

And that decision has paid dividends for 40 years,
40*365*24*60*16 = 336,384,000 breaths so far
in a space of my choosing.

My Space is a lot like my Time.
It has everything to do with how much
I enjoy the passage of Time.
So I spend a lot of my Time perfecting my Space.

That's another thing that's on My Checklist.™

If you want to know more about My Checklist™
Look for me here