1. In the first 9 months of 2011 there were 240 hi-tech and bio-tech startups in San Diego, the highest number in several years. (source)
2. $200 million per quarter was invested by VCs in San Diego businesses. But that is less than half as much as VCs invested prior to the recession. (source)
3. Tech Coast Angels (TCA) increased membership from 257 to 304 (counting all 5 locations in SoCal) last year, with San Diego angels numbering over 100 for the first time.
4. The number of applications to TCA for funding increased from 603 in 2010 to 1004 in 2011.
5. The number of new deals invested in by TCA increased about 40% year over year, but the amount invested in new deals increased by only about 15%.
The bottom line: the numbers indicate 2011 was challenging for startups to get the funding they were looking for!